Impodimo is located in the small town of Garfield, only 70km southeast of Melbourne. Though small – with a population of less than 2000 people – Garfield has had a bountiful history since it’s first European settlers came to the area (originally known as Cannibal Creek) in 1845. The area was primarily leased to surveyors until 1860, when the introduction of Old Telegraph Road allowed easier access to (and through) the area and the township was eventually formed. The town was renamed in memory of US President James Garfield in 1887.
Today, even with the growth of the town over the last several decades and the promise of further expansion in the future, Garfield remains the kind of town where everybody knows everybody else. The commercial strip consists of a number of heritage-listed shopfronts that have been filled by small and family-owned businesses with the support of the Garfield community, with each outlet in its own way contributing to the preservation of the town’s rustic identity and promoting the success of other local businesses and personalities.
Whether you’re local, staying in town, or just passing through, there are plenty of stores and outlets to keep you entertained and provide a break from the city life for the duration of your visit – or if nature is more your thing, consider heading to Mount Cannibal to take a walk at the Flora and Fauna Reserve. If you’re thinking of making the trip out to our store have a look at some of the other attractions of Garfield – and you can make a day of it!
FOOD AND PRODUCE
- Garfield Hotel – Authentic Pub food, fantastic social atmosphere, and some excellent live music. Check out their Facebook for updates on the events and acts that they’ve lined up!
- Lulu's Lolly Shop - The perfect stop for a little something sweet!
- Little Miss Hangry – Garfield’s go-to Cottage-style café, featuring several vegan and gluten-free friendly options on their mouth-watering menu.
- Lady Lavender's Tea Room - Gorgeous country Tea Room set amongst cottage gardens with an eclectic gift shop and nursery. Serving Devonshire scones, light lunches and desserts daily.
- Country-Style Meats – Grade “A” quality butcher and smokehouse, well known for using Gippsland’s finest locally sourced products. If you’re looking to barbecue, drop by here to get yourself the best cuts and prepared meats!
- Brewsters Café & Foodstore – Fresh produce and friendly service! Drop by for a coffee and a quick feed.
- Cannibal Creek Bakehouse – Artisan bakery specialising in an iconic woodfired sourdough. This is a great place for breakfast, lunch, and coffee with friends.
- Magpie and Stump Bakehouse - Traditional Aussie bakery located in the Main Street of Garfield. Magpie and Stump have a wide variety of meat pies, fresh salad sandwiches and rolls, Turkish rolls with yummy fillings and delicious selection of cakes and sweets freshly made on the day.
- Cannibal Creek Vineyards – A family-owned vineyard, with an on-premises Cellar Door and restaurant that celebrates French cuisine. Bookings essential - so if you want to get in here make sure to check their details and call ahead!
- Jinks Creek - Winebar, Gallery, Restaurant, Accommodation and Wedding Venue, and Wood Fired Pizza Restaurant - what don't these guys do!?
- SOHL Store - Garfield's go-to store for ladies and children's fashion, accessories and shoes!
- Garfield Community Store - Great deals on preloved items!
- Garfield Antiques - On the hunt for a fantastic piece with history to add to your home? Stop in here for a few hidden treasures.
- The Dancing Horse - Specialises in the highest quality riding wear and saddlery from around the world at great prices!
HEALTH AND BEAUTY
- Ultimate Indulgence – This day spa and beauty clinic offers a wide range of services to get you feeling fresh, free and rejuvenated. Book in for an afternoon and treat yourself!
- Counselling 2 U - Offering professional services in Counselling/Psychotherapy, Reiki, Hypnotherapy, Ear Candling, Henna Tattoo, and Meditation.
- Miss Franky's - A stellar salon with excellent service! Arrange a cut, colour, and style here and walk out feeling lighter, fresh and fabulous! Franky's also stocks a small retail range of clothing, hair and beauty products.
- Garfield Hair Creations - Highly recommended salon with friendly staff, great cuts and colours.
- Gumbuya World – Bringing the kids? This awesome theme park combines rides, water slides, and up-close encounters with Australian wildlife, and is guaranteed to get the kids excited and engaged. Best of all, it’s only a 15 minute drive from Garfield – so you can always pop through with the family to check out Impodimo and grab some stellar food in town before heading off for a day of fun with the family!